Wednesday 1 December 2010

Architectural Photography - Statement of Intent



Assignment Title


The Man Made World


Professional Application

There are a number of professional applications of architectural photography, including photographs of prestigious buildings that have been built by civil engineering companies, and suppliers to the projects, who wish to promote their involvement in the project in their portfolio to future customers.Although in recent years, some advertisers are using photography of large famous buildings to promote a number of consumer goods, especially where the items are large, where the intention is to emphasise the larger size of the product.


Other applications include estate agents who wish to advertise their catalogue of available premises, companies who wish to include photographs of both the inside and outside of their premises for advertising literature.

Also, heritage organisations use photographs of buildings in their care to the public to promote the buildings for visits and events to raise money for their up keep.


Intention

My intention with this photographic project is to capture some of the beauty of some of the buildings in my travels, with a special emphasis on some of the buildings in Burton Upon Trent, to capture some of the older buildings in the town, which, to me, stand out from the others.

Purpose of this Project

The purpose of this photography is two fold.

Firstly, I want to explore the contrast between the older buildings and some of the newer buildings in the built up world in my photography.

Secondly, I would like to take photographs of some of the buildings in Burton Upon Trent before they one day disappear. 

 
Stimulus

The stimulus for this project originally started after I saw some old photographs of Burton Upon Trent, showing how it looked at the turn of the century.  Seeing these I realised how much Burton had changed.  So I wanted to capture some of the current buildings for my record.

Looking around, I noticed how some buildings had their own style, some have their own personality, where as others looked ugly !

Inspirations

What has inspired me for this particular project is some photographs of buildings that stand out from the others in the way that they use light and shadow to make a building look more interesting.


Also where I have seen photographs of classic, and sometimes famous buildings, that really show the building in it’s glory or from an unusual angle.


Techniques and Equipment

For this project I want to build on some of the techniques, for example using the natural light to it's best, that I learnt during the landscape photography project.

One technique that I will be using for this particular project is to try to prevent the converging verticals that ruin many photographs of famous buildings.
For this project I will be using  the Pentax I will be using the 18 - 200 mm lens. 

No comments:

Post a Comment